The 2017 catalogue contains descriptions of our plants including preferred siting and descriptions of each plants flowers, habit, size and foliage. Heights and flowering months (1-12) are listed at the end of each description. We hope this makes some of the more unusual plants more accessible. The following abbreviations appear in the descriptions of some plants. AGM-Award of Garden Merit, PP/PBR-Plant Patent, S/Sh-Sun or shade, S/PSh-Sun or partial shade. If you would like the list e-mailed to you as excel spreadsheets please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The price conversion table on the back page of the catalogue allows customers to work out the price of a plant if it is in a different pot size from that listed.
Babylon Plants sources plants from other British growers and nurseries. Please phone, email or drop into the nursery to discuss your requirements. Bulbs, bare-root and root-balled plants can be ordered in advance for autumn and winter collection or delivery.
The stock areas have been extended over the past few years and the “New Area” now has a large hedging section, over a thousand trees in 20 to 65 litre pots, an area of drought-tolerant plants and a contract growing and Taxus area. The majority of our herbaceous plants come from ground stock in the trial beds surrounding the nursery. Most are grown from divisions, cuttings or seed taken from the existing mother plants ensuring they are acclimatised to local growing conditions. The stock beds around the nursery also allow you to see many varieties growing naturally, displaying their full attributes and stature.
Designers and landscapers are welcome to shop or browse during opening hours – Monday to Friday 8.30am-5.00pm. Please report to a member of staff on arrival. Louise Shaw manages sales on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. On days Louise is absent, Claire Crook, Rick Bennett and Matt Stokes are here to help and handle any enquiries.
We are registered for VAT at 20%. Please add to the prices listed.
Trade customers receive increasing discounts depending on how much they have spent at Babylon Plants over the preceding 12 months. Finished bought in stock and compost are excluded from the discount scheme.
See Page 3 for details of our discount scheme and the percentages offered.
Cumulative Spend (excl. VAT) Discount
We believe in running the nursery sustainably with as small an impact on the environment as possible. We recycle, re-use and compost nearly all waste from the nursery. Pests are mostly controlled using biological controls and organic methods and we primarily rely on cultural controls and healthy plants to resist pests and diseases. A wide range of wildlife feeds on pests in the nursery. As a result all sorts of birds, mammals and amphibians thrive on site, including owls, weasels and newts. Pesticides are occasionally used where no alternative is practical, although where possible we deploy protective biocides such as Serenade. We have just this year switched to entirely peat-free compost to produce our stock. The nursery eco-buildings are heated and provided with hot water by waste logs and wood. Electricity continues be supplied by ecotricity and this catalogue is printed on recycled paper. Due to increased concern about ‘plant miles’ and the spread of diseases, we have restricted stock sourced abroad to those items we cannot source adequately from UK growers.
We will deliver orders over £250.00 up to a distance of 75 miles. We charge £70.00 per hour one-way to cover the costs of fuel and wages. For instance, a delivery to Oxford taking half an hour would be billed at £35.00. We also use pallet line and a specialist horticultural delivery firm to take plants further outside our delivery area. Prices start from as little as £50.00. All costs above exclude VAT @ 20%.
Terms and Conditions
1. Payment should be on delivery or collection.
2. We apologise that we cannot offer credit or accounts.
3. We accept payment by debit cards, cheques or cash but regret that we will be charging 2% for credit cards. BACS payments can be arranged for regular customers.
4. We request a 25-50% deposit on orders of contract grown, reserved and bought in stock. This is non-refundable if orders are already assembled on site and stock is of an appropriate standard.
5. In default of payment, interest will be added to the outstanding account calculated at a rate of 1% per month.
6. Any complaint must be made as soon as possible. We will replace plants which are discovered to be the wrong variety or which also have underperformed at the nursery. We will not accept liability for any losses incurred as a result.
7. This catalogue replaces all previous catalogue prices and terms and conditions.
8. Some prices may change during the year if alternative stock is bought in to replace current stock.
9. Pot sizes change throughout the year with our propagation and potting regimes. Smaller pot sizes are often potted on for summer to create bigger more drought-resistant, hardier plants.
10. Orders gathered for collection or delivery will be subject to a 35% surcharge for plants less that 3 per species. This excludes specimens and trees.
11. All plants remain the property of Babylon plants until paid for in full.